Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Accidents do happen...

Some of you may have heard that Matt an d I both got into car accidents on Friday... Well, here's a few more details and some of how we've been processing the situation.

Friday was a snow day for Matt, so he didn't have to go into work. He decided to go in and pick up a few things (his laptop, etc.), and since I had an interview at noon, I asked him to bring Isaac (he really was just picking up a few things).

The way there was great -- Matt had literally no problems driving to work. He picked up his laptop, he talked with co-workers, he showed Isaac off to everyone... Everything was normal.

On the way home, everything was also normal, until he came to a slow stop at a red light. He slid on some ice, and swerved so that he wouldn't hit the car in front of him (thank God!). Instead, he hit a pole.

He was able to drive home, and except for feeling really, really bad, there was no emotional damage. Yes, Isaac was in the car, but Isaac was completely fine. Completely.

Fast forward an hour. I have a job interview at 12 (for a work from home opportunity). I decide to go, because this is an important thing, even though it is 20 minutes away, and even though Matt had just gotten into an accident. Probably a bad idea, but we'll get to that later...

Anyway, Matt secures a borrowed car for me (my brother and sister-in-law's), and off I go to my interview. I drive cautiously. Honestly. Then, approaching a red light, I brake, and my brakes aren't working. I look to swerve, but there's a car in the other lane. So... I crash into the car in front of me. And, I make him crash into the car in front of him. I know, right? So, we wait for a long time for the police to come. They write me a ticket, and I feel horrible. The car that I was driving is in pretty bad shape, but the rest of the cars are mostly fine. Just some fender and muffler damage on the car in front of me. I don't get to the interview, and I can't call, because they didn't give me their phone number, just an email address.

So, I call my brother-in-law (Karl), and I explain the situation. He is so gracious and wonderful. He comes to pick me up, and get the car towed. He starts his insurance process, and I go home to Matt and Isaac.

So, that's pretty much the whole story. And, it's horrible. Awful. Matt and I feel so bad. Neither of us have ever been at fault in an accident, ever. Neither of us have even really been in accidents, ever. It's the worst day of our lives (even thinking about it now, I can barely think of a worse day scenario... Sure, if someone died or was diagnosed with a really bad disease, that would certainly be worse, but that's about it.). Matt even mentions that he would love to be taken to heaven...

We're in a decent place emotionally right now. We're focusing on getting a new car, because our car is probably going to be declared a total loss. So, there's always something to do. And, Matt's handling it all.

For my brother and sister-in-law, I don't know what their situation is. I don't know if their car will be declared a total loss. I feel awful, horrible regret. I wish I hadn't decided to go to the interview. I wish I had rescheduled. I wish a lot of things.

I feel a bit like Mr. Bennett in Pride and Prejudice. I made a huge mistake, and I'm feeling it for the first time in my life. I have also majorly inconvenienced my family, and while they're being awesome about it, I feel so very bad.

So, that's the story. Crazy, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment