Thursday, September 16, 2010

Compare and Contrast

So, it's a rainy day today, so I've decided to compare and contrast Ohio with Massachusetts. I think you'll understand why in just a minute.

In Ohio, rain smells like dirt (in a I-should-make-that-into-a-scented-candle way). In Massachusetts, rain smells like the ocean.

In Massachusetts, orchards are big tourist business. There are barns selling all kinds of fall-inspired goods and petting zoos and hay rides and large orchards in suburban areas (there were at least 5 of these orchard types near us in Beverly). In Ohio, it seems that orchards are a much smaller business. It makes sense, really, but this is what I've heard and experienced here. Orchards have similar options - hay rides, petting zoos, pick your own apples - but there's one key difference. It doesn't seem to be a permanent farm stand. This may sound silly, but the farms in Massachusetts really know how to do it right.

In Ohio, there is Jeni's Ice Cream. In Massachusetts, there is Dick & June's. Jeni's is heavenly, usually smooth ice cream. Dick & Junes is delicious, classic chunky ice cream. Both are great.

In Massachusetts, politics are decidedly liberal (except for the Scott Brown fluke). In Ohio, politics are much less decided.

So, there you have it. My initial observations of Ohio vs. Massachusetts.

I have to share one quick story. On Tuesday night, I was going into Giant Eagle, and I was getting very emotional that this would now be my new local grocery store. It's weird when the reality settles in, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment